FAI - Frequently Asked Questions
COVID-19 Classroom Participation Policy
- University policy now requires the use of face coverings during class, regardless of vaccination status. We encourage participants to sanitize their hands and surfaces, and practice good hand-washing hygiene for maximum protection of themselves and their classmates.
- Participants are asked to self-assess their health and potential symptoms before each class. If you are not feeling well, please do not come to class.
- At this time, the University of Kentucky has relaxed some Covid mitigation requirements in its indoor spaces, and the Fine Arts Institute follows UK's policies. This is subject to change at any time. If UK reinstates more Covid-related requirements, you will be informed immediately by your instructor. You may voluntarily withdraw from class and receive a pro-rated refund (see details below) if you cannot or do not wish to follow UK's Covid policies.
If you would like to know more details on the University of Kentucky's Covid-19 reopening procedures, please visit the University's Playbook for Reinvented Operations.
Who can register for classes?
All of our classes and workshops are open to members of the public who are 18 years of age or older. You do not need to be a student or employee of UK to register. We are unfortunately unable to accept younger students at this time. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Where are classes held?
Where do I park?
Parking can be a challenge at UK. If visiting on a weekend or evening, most lots are available without restriction, but be sure to carefully read the signs at the entrance to each lot. During regular business hours, most parking is restricted. Parking regulations are strictly enforced. Metered parking and pay parking are available at certain lots and parking structures around campus. The closest pay lots to the School of Art & Visual Studies Building is Parking Structure #5 on South Limestone next to Kennedy's Bookstore. You can also purchase single-use 24-hour parking permits at the UK Parking Offices located at 721 Press Avenue of Virginia Avenue.
Do I need to register in advance, or can I just show up?
Please register in advance online, as class size is limited and we don't want to turn anyone away! You can register here.
How should I pay?
You can pay online or over the phone with a credit card; or by mailing a check. Cash is no longer an accepted form of payment for Fine Arts Institute classes, and instructors cannot accept in person checks. Payment must be received in advance of attending the first class. More information can be found here.
Can I take Fine Arts Institute classes for college credit?
No, sorry! The Fine Arts Institute is hosted by UK's School of Arts & Visual Studies, but it is a separate program, and our classes are not for academic credit.
Do you offer senior, military, UK employee, or other credits/discounts for your classes?
We do not offer discounts out of fairness to our instructors, and cannot offer academic credit. The majority of class fees go directly to the instructor. We are a self-sufficient element within the university, and not funded or subsidized in any way. Discounts are unfortunately just not possible at this time.
What is the Fine Arts Institute refund policy if I need to cancel my class?
Cancellation Policy: The Fine Arts Institute strives to provide high-quality instruction that meets the students’ expectations in every way.
Classes: In the event that the class you signed up for is not what you expected, we offer a risk-free cancellation policy. If you contact us after the first class session and would like to drop the class, we will refund 100% of the class fee. Starting with the second class, no refunds will be offered.
Workshops: 100% refund will be offered if we are contacted by noon on the Friday before a workshop.
Our instructors receive the greater part of the class fee as their salaries, so this policy was adopted in fairness to them. Please contact us (859-257-8151 or email@example.com) if you have any questions.
COVID-19 Cancellation Policy
- In the event of a University wide closure, you will be issued a pro-rated refund based on the remaining number of classes.
- You should expect your refund to be issued back onto the credit or debit card used for registration within 4 weeks of the cancellation.
- If your payment was made 120 days or more prior to classes being canceled, we will refund you with a check. Please let us know if your address has changed since registering.